The Google Penguin update was launched in April, 2012. It is said to be the enhanced version of the Google Panda which impinged many of the websites, in particularly websites with low quality content, and those with spam contents. The Penguin update is being used to revamp entirely what kind of websites show up in search results. It triggers on providing priority to websites with recently updated content, links from social media and related sites, and those websites that are an authority on their subject.
The Google Penguin Update aims to reward high quality content websites, to penalize websites with spam contents, recognize duplicate contents, demolish websites which are over-optimized by using web spam techniques with an objective to bring more traffic to their website and give them higher ranking. Penguin Update will never affect websites which are using pure white hat SEO tactics that could help to change for the improved way of searching. It will give healthier search result and will better make the high quality websites by giving them higher ranking in SERP.
Google Penguin has been dreadfully cruel on link spammers and have penalized them badly. The penguin effects can be recovered by strictly following the Google SEO guidelines. So if you purely go in compliance with the Google guidelines you will easily maintain your website’s SERP and also if your website is being penalized it will help you in resolving the harms on your website and facilitate it to rank well again on Google’s SERPs.
Steps to Recover from Penguin Update:
- With the better use of your Google analytics, carve out statistics around the dates that Penguin was released and verify if the drop occurred more or less on the same time as the updates.
- Make a comparison report evaluating the information two weeks prior to Penguin 1 and two weeks post Penguin 1, letting some days of buffer on both sides to give the algorithm time to come out.
- Find out which keywords dropped.
- Aim to avoid paid text links to raise your page rank and search rank.
- If any of the links of your website are targeting to a Penguin hit site then it will surely affect your site too. As soon as you locate these links remove them.
- Remove pages that were made just to get the link juice.
- Try to get the proper internal links but don’t over limit them.
- Avoid using the low quality link directories sites.
- Always check your website for duplicate content. If you discover any, remove it as soon as possible since it will cost you penalties.
- Through social media profiles, build links heading to your website or you can also suggest friends to visit your site, and find something of their interest.
And if you think, you have used the pure white SEO tactics and have original informative content, but still your website has been influenced poorly, in that case, you may fill the penguin reconsideration form and then Google may get back your rankings well.